The National Low Income Housing Coalition offers us this update and action plan:
Negotiations are underway between President Biden and congressional leaders to raise the national debt ceiling and avoid a catastrophic default. Despite the likely harm posed by default, U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and fellow House Republicans say they will only lift the debt ceiling in exchange for steep cuts to domestic programs, including drastic cuts to HUD’s and USDA’s vital affordable housing and homelessness programs.
It is critical for advocates to reach out to their members of Congress and urge them to oppose these harmful cuts.
Join NLIHC’s “Spring into Action” mobilization campaign from now until May 19 to speak out against budget cuts and push Congress to make necessary investments in housing and homelessness programs. During this period, we encourage advocates to creatively express the importance of federal housing resources and convey to their members of Congress the devastating toll that these cuts, if enacted, would take in their communities. Post your work on social media using the hashtags #CutsHurt and #SpringIntoAction from now until May 19, and be sure to tag your member of Congress and @NLIHC!
Possible activities include the following:
- Creating and posting a visual art piece.
- Writing a haiku, such as: “Affordable homes / Can’t be on the chopping block /Tell Congress, #CutsHurt!”
- Recording and posting a video telling Congress why #CutsHurt
- Emailing, calling, and tweeting at your members of Congress
- Signing your organization on to the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding’s (CHCDF) annual budget letter
Thank you for your advocacy!