Comprehensive ONLINE Resource Directory:

Click here for a summary of Western MA individual emergency shelters.

Youth/Young Adult Resources
For assistance:
Hampden County, contact 1-413-316-4979 or click here for the flyer
Hampshire/Franklin Counties: contact DIAL/SELF Youth and Community Services at 413-774-7054 x 8 for emergencies and x4 for non-emergency services
Berkshire County: contact Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority at 413-443-7138 x229 

Family Emergency Assistance Shelter
Call 866-584-0653 to access a Homeless Coordinator at the MA Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) who will assist with an application

Domestic Violence Shelter & Resources

Domestic Violence (DV) Shelter 24 hour hotlines:     

  • Safelink (MA state-wide hotline):  1-877-785-2020
  • YWCA of Western MA (Springfield):  413 733-7100
  • Alianza (Holyoke/Chicopee area):  1-877-536-1628 or 413 536-1628
  • NELCWIT (Franklin County/North Quabbin):  413-772-0806; 1-888-249-0806 (North Quabbin)
  • Elizabeth Freeman Center (Berkshire County):  413-499-2425 or 866-401-2425

Other DV community resources (not 24 hour hotlines):     

  • Behavioral Health Network – DV Program (Ware/Palmer/Quaboag Hills area): 413-967-6241
  • Safe Passage (Hampshire County): 413-586-5066; toll free 888-345-5282
  • Hilltown Safety at Home (Southern Hilltowns, e.g. Huntington, Russell, Chester, Blandford, etc.): 413-693-9977
  • Salasin Center (Franklin County):  413-774-4307

For additional assistance and resources on perpetrator or intimate abuse, please go here.

Housing/ Homelessness Prevention Resources

Hampden/Hampshire County – Way Finders: Applications for emergency rental assistance can be completed at through the online application. For homeowners’ assistance, go to
Springfield office location: 1780 Main Street.
Holyoke office location: 193 Chestnut Street
Northampton office location: 155 Pleasant Street. Please call 413-233-1500 to make an appointment.

Franklin County: Franklin County Regional Housing and Redevelopment Authority Any Franklin County person can apply for RAFT, either by going directly on their website at or in person at 241 Millers Falls Rd, Turners Falls, Mon-Fri, 9 am – 4:30 pm.

Berkshire County: Berkshire Regional Housing Authority

Berkshire County: Berkshire Housing Development Corp – Any Berkshire County person can apply for RAFT at Berkshire Housing, 1 Fenn Street, 3rd floor, Pittsfield.  We are open Tuesday’s from 9-12:00 and Thursday’s from 1-4:00 excluding holidays. An application can also be download off our website at and click on the HCEC link.  If an application is needed via mail or fax the main phone line is 413-344-4868.

Tenancy Preservation Project:  Works with households at risk of an eviction which can be related back to a disability as well as households who are facing housing instability but are not in court yet regardless of disability.
Berkshire County Regional Housing covers all four western counties:  
Berkshire County:  (413) 344-4818 or (413) 344-4832
Hampshire, Hampden and Franklin Counties:  (413) 344-4818 or (413) 358-5654

Other prevention resources for Hampshire, Franklin Counties and N. Quabbin Region:
Community Action Pioneer Valley: Greenfield: 413-475-1570, Northampton: 413-582-4237, Orange: 978-544-8091 or Ware: 413-967-4920. Assistance available by appointment only.

Amherst Community Connections, 236 N. Pleasant Street, Amherst (on the corner of N. Pleasant St and Hallock St) M-F 8:30 am – 5:30 pm. Contact: Hwe-Ling Greeney – [email protected], 413-345-0737. Appointments only, no drop-ins. Services include: Emergency Financial Housing Resources – RAFT, ERAP, ERMA – application assistance and advocacy; Public Housing and Subsidized Housing Application and Advocacy Program; ACC Rental Subsidy and Advocacy Program; Low Threshold Permanent Housing and Support Services for chronically homeless with substance use disorders; Housing First program for chronically homeless in Amherst

For Legal Assistance:
If you are facing the threat of eviction (receive a Notice to Quit or Summary Process Complaint) , call Community Legal Aid at 1-855-252-5342 or apply directly for services here:

For a Summary of Eviction Prevention Resources, go here.
For a Community Legal Aid compilation of resources for tenants in Hampden County (RAFT, fuel assistance, food, legal assistance), go here.

For people receiving SSI/SSDI, please see this resource sheet in relation to COVID and continuity of benefits. 

The MA Network of Care has produced an updated resource directory for people with mental health and substance use needs. 

Rapid Rehousing

Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin County

Catholic Charities: any person can apply for Rapid Re-housing and rental assistance by completing a pre-screening evaluation with by phone or in person Mon.-Fri. 9:00 – 4:00 p.m. at 65 Elliot Street, Springfield. Phone: 413-452-0605. Services and forms are available in Spanish and English. Limited ESG Rapid Rousing funding is available for Hampshire and Franklin County residents through the same process.

Amherst:Craigs Doors, 434 N. Pleasant Street, Amherst. Call 413-256-0704 Rental assistance and case management

Berkshire County:
 Berkshire Regional Housing Authority

Supportive Services for Veteran Families, 800-482-2565
More information: Katherine Person

Shelter Resources

Click here for a Quick List of Emergency Shelters, Transitional Housing and Community Support Programs.

Click here for a directory of Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Shelters, Transitional Housing and Rapid Re-housing Resources in Western Massachusetts

Click here for Amherst directory on information and resources related to homelessness.

Veterans:Click here for Veterans Housing and Related Resources Directory for Western Massachusetts (English version). Click here for the Spanish translation (haga clic aqui para la traduccion al espanol)

haga clic aquí para la traducción al español

haga clic aquí para la traducción al español

Click here for one-page hand-out on Mass. General Law Chapter 115 Veterans Benefits eligibility guidelines and “Veterans’ Bill of Rights”

Click here for non-veteran provider intake questionnaire to ascertain veteran status and access to veteran resources.

Click here for MHSA’s Resource Guide for Older Homeless and Low-Income Adults.

Discharge Planning Guidelines: 
Click here for the Discharge Planning Guidelines to assist with discharge of homeless individuals from hospitals, correctional facilities and other institutions.

Related Resources

Behavioral Health Help Line
The Behavioral Health Help Line (BHHL) connects individuals and families to the full
range of treatment services for mental health and substance use offered in
Massachusetts, including outpatient, urgent, and immediate crisis care. Call for realtime support, initial clinical assessment, and connection to the right evaluation and
treatment. The BHHL is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by phone call and text at 833-773-
2445 (BHHL), and online chat at

BHN WellBeing is a Community Behavioral Health Center (CBHC) that provides services for individuals and families dealing with mental health and substance use challenges. Serving children, youth, adults, and families in Spanish or English. For information call: 413-301-WELL (413-301-9355) BHN 24/7 Crisis Line: 413-733-6661 It has two locations: 417 Liberty Street in Springfield and 77 Mill St. in Westfield campus which serve 17 cities and towns in the region via in person, community-based and telehealth services. The hours for walk-in care at both locations are Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm; and Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 5pm. Visit for more information.

Sexual and Domestic Violence Resources for Substance Use Providers in Massachusetts: Click here.

Click here for a list of MassHire Career Center contact information. MassHires provide employment and training services at no charge to unemployed and under-employed individuals. Services include access to career and job counseling, computer and job skills training, job search assistance, job fairs and job postings, access to educational resources, computers, phones and faxes.

Click here for the Western Massachusetts Food Bank’s comprehensive guide to services (food, housing, shelter, transportation and more).

The Boston Public Health Commission and Boston Health Care for the Homeless produced Guidelines for Opioid Overdose Preparedness and Response in Congregate Housing & Shelters. 

Version 1, Intended Audience: Housing & Shelter Management (PDFPPT)

Version 2, Intended Audience: Front-Line Staff (PDFPPT)Click

Changes or revisions to these resources? 
Contact: Contact Pamela Schwartz, Director