From CHAPA: Job Opening
Community Organizer for Statewide Affordable Housing Ballot Measure
The repeal of the state’s affordable housing law will be on the statewide ballot on November 2, 2010. The Campaign to Protect the Affordable Housing Law, a state ballot committee, has been formed to oppose the elimination of this critical housing law. A broad-based advisory group of civic, business, religious, housing, environmental, municipal, academics is actively engaged in working to defeat this ballot referendum.
We are seeking one full-time community organizer in Western Massachusetts to begin in early summer, 2010. See www.protectaffordablehousing.org.
Responsibilities of Community Organizers
The Western Massachusetts organizer will help conduct grassroots outreach on behalf of the campaign and work with our partners on the ground to coordinate their efforts. Activities will include:
Help conduct outreach to community leaders, voters and the public about the need to protect the affordable housing law.
- Organize supporters in Berkshire, Hampshire, Hamden, Franklin Counties and part of Worcester County.
- Organize supporters in key constituency areas, including local housing, business, religious, and civic leaders and community-based organizations.
- Support local supporters with materials.
- Ensure the campaign is represented at key community meetings and events and schedule speaking engagements in conjunction with the campaign manager.
- Coordinate media and message outreach.
- Implement get-out-the-vote efforts, phone banks, canvassing, and other activities.
- Help populate a database of supporters and potential supporters.
- Conduct administrative tasks, as needed.
Experience working on at least one electoral or ballot measure campaign.
- Experience conducting voter outreach, including phone banking or canvassing.
- Proficiency in computer technology.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking.
- Knowledge of Western Massachusetts.
- Knowledge of affordable housing issues a plus.
- Access to transportation.
$2,500 per month.
Email cover letter and resume to:
The Campaign to Protect the Affordable Housing Law
Please put “Western MA Organizer” in the subject line.