Housing Sex Offenders Work Group – January 4, 2012

In Attendance:   Carl Cignoni, Hampshire Sheriff’s Dept., Steve Connor, Veteran Services, Joe Critelli, Hampden County Sheriff’s Dept., Jason Cuyler, Berkshire Sheriff’s Dept., Karen Dean, Hampden County Sheriff’s Dept., Danielle DeBerry, ServiceNet, Patrick Devine, Hampden County Sheriff’s Dept., Donn Dominique, Hampden County Sherriff’s Dept., Hwei-Ling Greeney, Amherst Community Connections, Laurie Guidry, MATSA, Reikka Simula Gooden, Housing for All, Ellie Harris, ServiceNet, Richard Hendrick, Eliot CHS-Homeless Services, Jay Levy, Elliot-CHS Homeless Services, Sgt. Anne McMahon, Northampton Police Dept., Marie McNeil, VA, Robin Powell, Hampden County Sheriff’s Dept., Kelly Przypek, Hampden County Sheriff’s Dept., Laurie Smith, ServiceNet, Sally J Van Wright, Women’s Correctional Center, Thomas Whuy, Hampden County Sheriff’s Dept.

Outreach Check-in for 2/1 “summit” with faith leaders and providers on housing sex offenders:

Reviewed  outreach assignments.  Will continue to push out invitation over the next week to ensure sufficient notice and attendance.

2/1 Agenda Brainstorm:

Overview presentation by Laurie Guidry – the problem, the challenge, possible models (national and local) for solutions
Promote interactive dialogue – alternating between presentation/discussion
Offer additional educational opportunities

Measure of success:  their willingness to come back to the table, to get more deeply engaged.

Range of possible responsive actions:  speak publicly on this issue, e.g., engage landlords in their congregation.  Connect their faith obligations to this issue – what does it mean to respond to this problem?

Integrate current reality of Penn State (sports) and experience of priests/sexual abuse – Laurie will “name it.”

Pose question re: how this issue is relevant to their mission.

Tape presentation?  Consider Webinar in order to allow for interactive piece.  Taping could be problematic.

We need to connect faith leaders with what THEY have to offer to this issue, how they can make the difference.

One possibility:  bring a sex offender who relies on the churches to talk about their experience/relationship with the church.  Agreed this would be good for second meeting.

Check in with churches re: their experience with sex offenders.  Get their experiences/insights.  Make sure they feel supported – that we are a community .

For 2nd meeting: invite Rosa of Springfield, Fred of St. Francis – demonstrate models where housing sex offenders works.  Also consider adding offender perspective.

Agreed to schedule the follow-up meeting.  Agreed on next date:  3/14, 10 am – 12 noon

Laurie, Joe and Carl will be there at 9:30 am on 2/1 – others welcome.  Room set-up will depend on actual room.   Pamela will manage refreshments.  Bring name tags.  Carl will do site visit to assess best set-up.

Laurie will contact Fred re: 3/14; Richard will contact Rosa, as well – try to get them to save the date.

Next work group meeting: 2/8, 1-2:30 pm, AISS, 736 State Street, Springfield

Between now and 2/1, each network member will take charge of their invitees, follow-up, remind them of the date in a couple of weeks and then a couple of days before.  Pamela will send out reminders on this.

«   »

Return to full list of blog posts.