As predicted, the eviction moratorium has ended, and eviction notices have begun in force. It is critically important that tenants are aware of their rights and what they can do to stay housed. They must be advised that they do NOT need to leave their home upon receipt of a Notice to Quit.
See this Notice to Quit flyer that explains what a Notice to Quit means and provides a list of contact information for access to RAFT and other resources through your local Housing Consumer and Education Center (also see local contact info below).
The CDC Eviction Moratorium is in effect until March 31, 2020. You are covered if:
- You are an individual with a net household income under $99,000 or a couple with a net household income under $198,000
- You are unable to pay rent due to a substantial loss in income or extraordinary medical expenses
- You would likely become homeless if evicted
- You have tried to obtain state or local rental assistance, and
- You are making best efforts to pay as much rent as possible.
If tenants can attest to the above, complete the CDC Declaration Form.
Also please see this CDC Eviction Moratorium Assistant Tool for help completing the form.
If tenants receive a Notice to Quit, they should call their local Legal Aid office immediately. For Western MA, call Community Legal Aid at 1-855-252-5342 or apply directly for services here: www.communitylegal.org.
For your convenience (and also in this flyer), below is the list of our region’s HCECs’ contact info to seek RAFT and other rental assistance:
Hampden and Hampshire Counties: Way Finders
- Phone Number: 413-233-1600
- Website: https://www.wayfinders.org/apply-financial-assistance
Franklin County: Franklin County Regional Housing and Redevelopment Authority
- Phone Number: 413-863-8791 Ext. 150
- Website: http://www.fcrhra.org/emergency-assistance/RAFT
Berkshire County: Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority
- Phone Number: 413-499-1630 Ext.168
- Website: https://berkhousing.wpengine.com/financial-assistance-programs/
To learn more, go to: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/emergency-housing-assistance-during-covid-19 or dial 2-1-1.
Please distribute this information widely!