Calling all Network partners! We’ve got a very big day next week as the State Legislature’s Joint Committee on Housing convenes a virtual hearing on Tuesday, October 12 at 11 am on a number of Network priority bills. The Network’s Racial Equity Work Group urges your support of these bills as a crucial part of the Network’s mission to reduce racial inequity in homelessness. The bills include:
- The Right to Counsel in Evictions (H.1436/S.874)
- Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA)(H.1426/S.890)
- Codifying and strengthening the Mass Rental Voucher Program (MRVP) (H.1428/S.898)
- Codifying and strengthening HomeBase (H.1372)
- Codifying and strengthening RAFT (H.1385)
- Flexible funds to expand supportive housing and services for adults, youth, and families experiencing homelessness (H.3838)
YOUR TESTIMONY COUNTS. And the Network is here to help!
Please see a template for your organization’s written testimony HERE.
You can submit written testimony until October 15 at 5 pm. Email Committee Chairs at: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and the Committee staff Morgan Simko at Morgan.Simko@masenate.gov and Luke O’Roark at firstname.lastname@example.org
and copy your local legislators.
You can also sign up to testify at the hearing by Sunday, October 10 at 5 pm by going to this GOOGLE FORM.
For more details on the hearing itself, please go here.
Additional quick actions:
On TOPA: Email your legislators using this simple EveryAction link:
On Supportive Housing Expansion: SIGN ON YOUR ORGANIZATION in support HERE.
Let’s make sure Western Massachusetts is heard!